Sally’s great-great-great-great-great-great Grandparents:
Phillip Walston ca 1693 – 1740/41 | his parents
& Dorothy Jones | her parents
& Averille ? | her parents
of Bertie County, North Carolina
This is my working hypothesis – the way I see it as of this moment!!
Phillip Walston was the son of William Walston and his first wife apparently of Norfolk Co. VA.
Phillip Walston married first Dorothy Jones, daughter of William Jones.
Phillip & Dorothy Walston deeded land in 1717.
At the time of his death Phillip’s wife was named Averille.
Children of Phillip Walston and Dorothy Jones:
1. William Walston ca 1716 –
married Elizabeth ?
2. Phillip Walston ca 1718 -1774 Bertie County
married Charity Moore
3. George Walston ca 1720- ?married Sarah ?
George Walston of Beaufort Co to Phillip Walston Sen July 24 1747 200¬£ for 400 acres at the fork of Bear Swamp on Walston’s Creek. Wit: Sarah Walston, John May, John Hardy Aug Ct. 1747.
4. Easter Walston ca 1722
5. Jean Walston ca 1724
married John Lawrence ca 1721 – 1788
6. Mary Walston ca 1726
7. Henry Walston ca 1728
8. Nancy Walston ca 1730
?Child of Phillip Walston and wife Averille
1. Avarilla Walston ca 1741 –
married 4 Feb 1767 James Yeats ca 1740 – ca 1807
Josiah Redditt, Bm
William Walston and his wife Hester were granted a warrant for land in the Province of North Carolina by Lord Craven. The land was surveyed in May 1695, and returned signed in April 1697. Also on the warrant was William’s wife Hester and heirs Philip Walston and William Walston, Jr.
There were several land transactions in these early records to prove that they probably arrived shortly after April 1697, probably from Norfolk, VA where a William Walston married a widow named Hester (Hayes) Sullivan. [Philip and William Jr. may have been the sons of a previous wife].
24 Sept. 1717, Philip and wife Dorothy (later proved to be Dorothy Jones daughter of William Jones – from will of William Jones) deeded land to Charles Pate.
William Walston Sr. deeded land (1719) to his grandson William, son of Philip and Dorothy.
William Sr. died about this time (1720) and Hester returned to Norfolk where she died in 1727.
If your Avarille was the mother of the other children I cannot say, but Dorothy Jones was definitely the mother of George, William and Philip, Jr.
E- mail from Luanne Mank 5/30/99
Bertie County Deeds F 325 Phillip Walston, Sen to George, Henry, Phillip, Phillip (the son of William), and Averille Walston–( abstracted by Bell.)
March 17, 1740/41. Gift (will) Land and Negroes. “. . . Natural love and Effection that I bear unto my children . . .and to my wife. .”
– To my wife Averille 1/2 plantation during her life and widowhood.
– To Henry; 400 acres adj. James Newland. Also Negro boy Quash. Not to be sold during life of grantor.
– To Phillip a negro Prince and a boy called Jack. . .labor of same reserved during life of grantor.
– To George 400 A. on Kesia where I now dwell. A negro boy called Sezar. Life right of both reserved by grantor.
– To Easter 200 A. on SWS Bare Swamp and a negro girl called Vilott. Not to be sold during life of grantor without consent.
– To Jean 200 A. on Bare Swamp and a negro girl named Cate also reserved during the life of grantor.
– To Mary ” Negro Jenny after my decease and her increase reserving for myself only the first child”
– To Nancy, Easter, Jane, Mary all my stock of cattle equally except 5 cows and calves, 2 steers (use reserved of all during the life of grantor) also all sheep- reserve 1/2 all wool during life.
– To grandson Phillip Walston, son of William and Elizabeth Walston, 1 negro girl Rose. If she should breed each of his brothers and sisters should have one negro.
Wit: James Watson, Thomas Whitmell, Thomas Ryan. Feb Court 1741. Benjamin Hill C/C.
Grandchildren of Phillip Walston and Dorothy Jones:
Children of Phillip Walston and Charity Moore:
1. Rachel Walston died 1789
married 1762 Joseph Kent died Aug 1789
2. Elizabeth Walston
married Amos Harris
3. Charity Walston
married James Turner
4. Sarah Walston
married Thomas Hawkins Johnston
5. Judith Walston died before 1789
married Frederick Lawrence
6. John Walston died by 2 Mar 1794
married Winefred Turner died 1801
7. Penelope Walston ca 1740
married ca 1755 James Ward died 1780
I think she may well have been his first wife & mother of Penelope
8. Mary Ann Walston
married Henry Bates
from Bertie Deed and Estate records
John Lawrence ca 1721-1788 and Jane (Jean) Walston dau of Phillip had:
1. Robert Lawrence
2. Obediah Lawrence
married & had issue
Deed Book P p98 Bertie Co Obediah Lawrence of Bertie Co to William
Lawrence. 21 May 1790 40¬£ 100 acres which Phillip Walston gave by
deed of gift to his daughter Jean Walston & her heir Obediah Lawrence
on the north side of Bare Swamp Marsh.
Deed Book P p145 Bertie Co William Lawrence of Bertie Co to James
Morris of same 20 Aug 1790. 60¬£ 100 acres which was a deed of gift to
Jane Walston as by a conveyance from John Lawrence to his son
Obediah Lawrence, joining John Lawrence, Ben Bowen, Thomas W
Pugh, Reddick. Also signed by Ann Lawrence. Wit: Wm. Wooten Feb Ct
1791 Stevens Gray CC.
3, Dorothy Lawrence
married William Flood and had issue;
4. Johanna Lawrence
married Solomon Weston and had issue
5. Martha Lawrence
married her cousin J Lawrence and had issue
6. Ann Lawrence
married her cousin William Lawrence and had issue
7. Abner Lawrence
married and had issue
8. Betsy Lawrence
married her cousin William Lawrence and had issue.
William Walston and wife Elizabeth had
1. Phillip Walston born before 1740/41 -bef Feb 1754 Granville Co